Heyl Royster's Education Practice serves the counseling and litigation needs of school districts, as well as public and private colleges and universities throughout Illinois. Educational institutions confront many different legal issues, and almost any legal matter can affect the image of the institution and its students, faculty, staff, alumni, and the surrounding community. The attorneys in our Education Practice think beyond the immediate legal issues in order to provide clients with mission-critical guidance. Our attorneys are experienced in representing educational institutions in state and federal court, before administrative agencies, labor boards, hearing officers, mediators, and arbitrators.
Members of this practice belong to the National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA), the National Council of School Attorneys (COSA), and the Illinois Council of School Attorneys (ICSA).
Our Education Law attorneys bring a variety of experience and talent to our education clients, including:
- Providing legal advice regarding labor and employment, board governance, student discipline, special education, risk management, litigation, consolidation, public finance, real estate and construction.
- Representing Boards of Education and Boards of Trustees in negotiations of collective bargaining agreements and labor contract administration.
- Contract preparation, analysis, and review.
- Representing school districts in state and federal court, before the Illinois Department of Human Rights, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Illinois Educational Labor Relations Board, arbitrators, and hearing officers.
- Providing consultation and preparation of school district policies and administrative procedures.
- Attending school board meetings, providing advice related to the preparation of agendas, the Open Meetings Act, and Freedom of Information Act.
Our Education Practice is supported by the full resources of the firm and more than 30 practice groups, including:
In-Service Training for Educators
We have experience in all areas related to school law, including but not limited to special education and due process, bullying, FOIA/OMA, labor and employment, mandated reporting, student records and student discipline. We are available to present at your upcoming meetings or workshops. Contact Beth Jensen at email@example.com or (309) 676-0400 for your in-service training needs.
Representative School District Clients
Cherry Grade School District No. 92
El Paso-Gridley CUSD No. 11
McLean County Unit District No. 5
Oak Grove School District No. 68
Peoria Heights CUSD No. 325
Peoria Public Schools District No. 150
Representative Higher Education Clients
Eastern Illinois University
Illinois Eastern Community Colleges
Southern Illinois University
SIU School of Medicine
University of Illinois