- Of Counsel
Maura’s practice spans a wide variety of litigation – from commercial disputes to medical malpractice and product liability claims to employment law. Her primary areas of practice include commercial litigation, product liability, construction and premises liability, healthcare, and medical malpractice defense. As a primary focus of her commercial practice, she has worked on several cases related to retail sales tax sourcing litigation. Her practice also encompasses large loss property subrogation matters pending throughout the United States and internationally. She has mediated and arbitrated numerous cases, including a three-week arbitration in Tokyo, Japan, that resulted in a multi-million dollar recovery for a construction defect matter, which arbitration award the Japanese courts affirmed on appeal. Her practice has involved various types of property damage claims, including construction defects, product defects, fires, explosions, and boiler and turbine failures. The nature of her practice has required regular analysis of contract documents, including whether exculpatory provisions and limitations of liability are enforceable based on the applicable state's law. In the subrogation area, her experience also includes obtaining recoveries arising out of workers’ compensation claims.
Maura began her legal career with Heyl Royster in 2002, when she worked at the firm's Edwardsville office primarily representing corporate defendants in asbestos toxic tort litigation for serious injury cases pending in Madison County, Illinois, including product liability and premises liability claims. In 2004, Maura moved to Chicago and expanded her litigation practice to large loss property subrogation matters. In 2010, Maura returned to Heyl Royster to handle commercial litigation and other civil matters pending in Chicago as well as asbestos toxic tort claims.
Maura was born in Kabul, Afghanistan and speaks fluent Dari, a dialect of Persian.
- Law Review: Articles and Notes Editor, Washington University Journal of Law and Policy
- “Triggering the Policy”
DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, Construction Defect Track 2012
Named to the 2012 and 2013 Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Stars list. The Super Lawyers Rising Stars selection process is based on peer recognition and professional achievement. Only 2.5 percent of Illinois lawyers under the age of 40 or who have been practicing 10 years or less earn this designation.
- Chicago Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution Young & International Group
- Defense Research Institute
- Illinois Defense Counsel
- Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc. (RIMS)
- State Courts of Illinois and Missouri
- United States District Courts, Northern District of Illinois and Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Pro hac vice admittance in State Courts of Indiana, New York, Oregon, Arizona, California, Florida, Ohio, Massachusetts, Maryland, and internationally in Japan and Taiwan
- Juris Doctor, Washington University School of Law, 2002
- Bachelor of Science in Language Arts-Government (International Affairs) and Spanish, Georgetown University, 1998
Year Joined Firm