Joined Firm in 2018
Mike is an experienced litigator prepared to handle every aspect of your medical malpractice claims, from pre-suit review through trial or settlement and appellate review.
- Experienced with HIPAA Compliance, Medical Studies Act, and Breach issues
- Skilled in policy and procedures development
- Accomplished in vendor and provider contracts
Attorney in Rockford, IL
Mike focuses his practice in the areas of medical malpractice defense, healthcare law, and trucking litigation/catastrophic motor vehicle litigation. He represents physicians, hospitals, nurses, and numerous other healthcare providers in professional and institutional negligence claims, including those involving catastrophic injuries. Mike also represents hospitals and providers in numerous administrative proceedings, including licensure and credentialing actions. He has handled every aspect of medical malpractice claims from pre-suit review through trial or settlement and appellate review.
He has represented individual providers associated with the health system in professional licensure matters; medical staff privileging and credentialing proceedings; drafting consent forms related to agency issues; and guardianship proceedings for patients (brought on behalf of the hospital). He regularly speaks to hospitals and providers on numerous topics, including the Medical Studies Act.
Prior to joining Heyl Royster, Michael worked as outside counsel for two large healthcare systems in Rockford, with one year as in-house counsel. Before law school, Michael worked in law enforcement, with special training in accident reconstruction through Northwestern, and obtained his State of Illinois certification. During law school, he was a judicial extern for the Honorable J. Edward Prochaska of the 17th Judicial Circuit of Winnebago County.
J.D., Northern Illinois University College of Law, magna cum laude
B.S., University of Illinois, Finance
Licensure(s) and Admission(s)
State Courts of Illinois
State Courts of Iowa
State Courts of Wisconsin
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
United States District Court for the Western District of Wisconsin
Illinois Defense Counsel
Illinois State Bar Association
Special Olympics, Illinois Torch Run
- Obtained a defense verdict for a bariatric surgeon following a jury trial in which Plaintiff alleged that the surgeon’s reversal of a prior bariatric surgical procedure, hernia repair and fundoplication led to splenic rupture, uncontrolled bleeding and 2 emergency surgeries. During the first emergency surgery, the surgeon encountered 4 liters of blood in the abdominal cavity. Plaintiff asserted liability on a traditional theory of negligence as well as under the doctrine of res ipsa loquitur. The jury quickly returned a complete defense verdict on behalf the firm’s clients.
- Super Lawyer Rising Star by Super Lawyers®, 2017 - 2021
- Best Lawyer: Ones to Watch in AmericaTM by Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in AmericaTM – Medical Malpractice Law – Defendants
- Heyl Royster Congratulates the Attorneys Selected for Inclusion In Best Lawyers®
- Orsi and Denning Secure Summary Judgment for Illinois Hospital, Nurses, and Physicians
- Denning and Orsi Secure Defense Verdict for Surgeon
- Press Release: Heyl Royster Announces Five New Partners
- 13 Heyl Royster Attorneys Selected by Illinois Super Lawyers in 2021