Joined Firm in 2000
Mike will present your most complicated case in a manner readily understood by juries, having had numerous defense verdicts in virtually all areas of civil law in state and federal courts.
- Intellectual Property Practice Chair
- Former federal law clerk with wide-ranging trial experience
Attorney in Springfield, IL
Mike is an accomplished speaker, author, and trial attorney with extensive experience in professional liability, product liability, commercial litigation, and intellectual property. Licensed with the United States Patent and Trademark Office and a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US), Mike is Chair of the firm's Intellectual Property Practice.
Mike has presented for the Illinois CPA Society and Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education on blockchains, e-discovery, social media, cybersecurity, and smart contracts. He has also authored various articles published in the Missouri Law Review (where he was Managing Editor), Springfield Business Journal, and InterBusiness Issues. Mike has been recognized by his peers and selected as a Leading Lawyer in Illinois.
Mike received his Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering from the University of Notre Dame. Before attending law school, he worked as an electrical engineer at Ralston Purina in St. Louis. He received his J.D. degree (Order of the Coif) from the University of Missouri School of Law. After receiving his law degree, Mike served as a judicial clerk to Federal District Judge Richard Mills in Springfield, Illinois. Following that clerkship, he worked in private practice in Springfield, primarily in medical malpractice, product liability, and commercial litigation. He joined Heyl Royster in 2000 and moved to the firm's Edwardsville office in 2003. Mike became a partner with the firm in 2004, and he returned to the firm's Springfield office in 2011.
J.D., University of Missouri School of Law, Order of the Coif
M.A., Washington University of St. Louis, Intellectual History
B.S., University of Notre Dame, Electrical Engineering
Licensure(s) and Admission(s)
State Courts of Illinois
State Courts of Missouri
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh District
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri
United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
United States Supreme Court
American Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Illinois Defense Counsel
Illinois State Bar Association
Madison County Bar Association
Sangamon County Bar Association
The Missouri Bar Association
Missouri Air National Guard, Past Captain
Notre Dame Alumni Association of Central Illinois
Springfield Big Brothers/Big Sisters
Springfield International Visitors Commission, Commissioner
Springfield Midtown Rotary, Past President
- Frey v. Shell – Defense verdict in products liability case involving alleged permanent eye injury.
- Freeland v. AM – Successful defense of Fortune 500 company in federal products liability trial involving disability and brain injury.
- Gulley v. F, M.D. – Defense verdict in a malpractice case involving intra-cranial abscess.
- Jordan v. Maloney – Defense verdict in professional liability and fraud case against home inspector and realtor.
- Hoskins v. F, M.D. – Defense verdict in federal malpractice and civil rights case involving metastatic prostate cancer.
- Gallina v. W, M.D. – Defense verdict in a malpractice case involving talar neck fracture.
- Bahrs v. B, M.D. – Defense verdict in federal civil rights case involving colon cancer.
- Magurany v. S – Defense verdict in rear-end collision resulting in partial paralysis and brain damage.
- Stephenson v. O, M.D. – Defense verdict in federal civil rights case involving back surgery.
- Three arbitration victories for a Fortune 100 Internet/Cable Company in cases involving breach of contract, fraud, and alleged violations of the Illinois Consumer Fraud Deceptive Business Practices Act.
“Cybersecurity Issues for Engineers,” Illinois Engineering Law Seminar (2021)
“Healing Ambassador Training Program,” Illinois Public Health Association (2021)
“Patent Lawyer Panel,” Bradley University (2020)
“Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights,” Central Illinois Chapter of IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) (2019)
“Blockchain’s Effects On Not-For-Profits,” Illinois CPA Society (2018)
“E-Discovery, Social Media and Cybersecurity,” Heyl Royster's 33rd Annual Claims Handling Seminar (2018)
“Spygate: Cyber Security - HIPAA/HITECH Requirements/Confidentiality & Data Breaches,” Heyl Royster's 32nd Annual Claims Handling Seminar (2017)
“Outlining Your Plan of Action,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2014)
“Social Security Liens In Tort Litigation,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2012)
“What Every Claims Professional Needs to Know About Conflicts of Interest, Good Faith Duty to Settle and Time Limit Demands,” Heyl Royster (2007)
“Recent Developments in Case Law,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Chicago and Springfield presentations (2001)
“Cybersecurity Consideration in a Remote Work Environment,” Springfield Business Journal (2021)
“Small Business Cybersecurity and the Internet of Things,” Springfield Business Journal (2019)
"The Charitable Powers of Blockchain Technology," Springfield Business Journal (2018)
“Cyber Security Recommendations for Small Business,” InterBusiness Issues (2017)
"Seven Cybersecurity Recommendations for Small Businesses," Springfield Business Journal (2017)
"Buckle Up for Cybersecurity," Springfield Business Journal (2017)
“Blockchain Technology for Business,” Springfield Business Journal (2017)
"What Every Claims Professional Needs to Know About Conflicts of Interest, Good Faith Duty to Settle and Time Limit Demands," Heyl Royster (2007)
Missouri Wrongful Death Statute, Missouri Law Review (1992)
- Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Media℠