Bringing a responsive and disciplined approach while defending his clients, Mike's experience has taught him to quickly evaluate and identify the most significant points in a wide variety of cases.
- Tried over 40 cases to jury verdict
- Leading Lawyer by Law Bulletin Media℠
Attorney in Edwardsville, IL
With over 30 years of trial and appellate practice, Mike is well respected and trusted in the legal community. A Partner working out of the firm's Edwardsville and St. Louis offices, he prides himself on his efficiency in bringing cases to a rapid conclusion. Experience in a wide range of cases has taught him that not every stone necessarily needs to be unturned – just the important ones.
Mike has tried over 40 cases to jury verdict, including wrongful death and class actions. He has also argued over 20 appeals, has handled many insurance coverage disputes and cases brought under the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act, and has also defended numerous product liability cases and sports-related claims. Bringing a responsive and disciplined approach while defending his clients, Mike's experience has taught him efficiency and a method to identify key issues quickly in litigated cases. His reputation among the Bench and Bar extends to the trial and appellate court levels, where Mike enjoys a collegial relationship with nearly all opposing counsel and the courts.
Out of the courtroom, Mike serves on the Executive Board of the United Congregations of Metro East, a faith-based community organizing affiliate of the Gamaliel Foundation. As a full-time hockey and Little League dad, if Mike's not watching his son David play, he's at a Blues or St. Louis Cardinals game with the family.
J.D., University of Illinois College of Law
B.A, Loyola University, English
Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honor Society
Licensure(s) and Admission(s)
State Courts of Illinois
State Courts of Missouri
United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Illinois
Federal Bar Association, Central District of Illinois Chapter
Federal Bar Association, Legal Education Committee Appointee
Federal Bar Association, Southern District of Illinois Chapter
Illinois State Bar Association, Insurance Law Section Member
United Congregations of Metro East, Executive Board Member, and Past President
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insur. Co. v. Elmore, 2020 IL125441, 181 N.E.3d 865 – Illinois Supreme Court found "mechanical device" exclusion applied to preclude coverage in a leg off case.
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insur. Co. v. Osborne, 2020 Ill. App. (5th) 190060, 148 N.E.3d 84 – Head-on interstate collision, multiple death case. The appellate court reversed the trial court and found no coverage as the insured's vehicle was not "out of use" at the time of the impact. Coverage was not provided to the leased vehicle.
- Ford v. Grizzle, 398 Ill. App. 3d 639, 924 N.E.2d 531 (5th Dist. 2010), as corrected (Mar. 4, 2010) – Rear-end accident defense verdict. The appellate court found that the trial court properly admitted photographs of the plaintiff's vehicle and the prior injury history of the plaintiff.
- Shelter General Insur. Co. v. Zurich District, 07-CV-507-DRH, 2008 WL 4449873 (S.D. Ill. Sept. 30, 2008) – "Targeted tender" rule held inapplicable for a garage liability policy, as to do so would violate public policy.
- Plat v. Gateway Intrn. Motorsports Corp., 351 Ill. App. 3d 326, 813 N.E.2d 279 (5th Dist. 2004) – In T-bone accident at a racetrack, release enforceable to preclude claim brought by a spectator.
- Hanson v. Lumley Trucking, LLC, 403 Ill.App3d 445, 932 N.E.2d 1179 (5th District 2010) – Stacking of underinsured motorist coverage precluded in a commercial trucking policy.
- Heepke v. Heepke Farms, Inc., 271 Ill.App.3d 935, 649 N.E.2d 958 (5th District 1995) – Fellow servant doctrine not abolished in Illinois and still a viable defense.
“Adjusting Animal Liability Claims," PLRB Claims Conference (2023)
- Leading Lawyer℠ by Law Bulletin Media