Joined Firm in 2019
Mark knows each client and case is unique. He understands that each client's opinions, insights, and goals should guide the matter, approaching his work aggressively and meticulously while considering creative solutions.
- University of Illinois College of Law Moot Court Judge
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, cum laude
Attorney in Champaign, IL
As an Associate attorney in the firm's Champaign office, Mark defends healthcare providers, clinics, and hospitals in medical malpractice litigation throughout Illinois. He is a passionate advocate and has obtained numerous defense outcomes and trial verdicts. Mark has had cases successfully dismissed when the facts do not warrant a lawsuit. He has successfully facilitated fair and reasonable resolutions when the circumstances lend themselves to settlement. And when parties cannot agree, he has obtained defense and defense-favorable judgments.
In addition to civil litigation, Mark has experience in proceedings before the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation and the Illinois Department of Human Rights. Serving on the Illinois State Bar Association Tort Law Committee and the Illinois Defense Counsel Tort Law Committee, Mark actively monitors trends in medical malpractice legislation, court opinions, settlements, and verdicts. Never losing his passion for the academic aspects of law, he continues to research, publish, and present on litigation topics.
J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, cum laude
B.S., Saint Ambrose University, Mathematics
Licensure(s) and Admission(s)
State Courts of Illinois
United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois
Champaign County Bar Association
Illinois Defense Counsel, Tort Law Committee
Illinois State Bar Association, Tort Law Committee
University of Illinois College of Law
Moot Court Judge (2022)
Law Firm Challenge, Team Leader (2020)
Alumni-Student Mentoring Program, Mentor
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice on behalf of an Illinois pharmacy following nearly one year of contentious briefing and argument. The plaintiff alleged that the pharmacy failed to warn the patient and healthcare providers that the prescribed amount of medication was hazardous. After substantial motion practice, the court dismissed the plaintiff's claim against the pharmacy with prejudice.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a central Illinois hospital in a personal injury action. The plaintiff alleged that a collision with a hospital employee pushing a wheelchair caused severe and permanent injuries to her hand and wrist. Mark strategically pursued fact discovery, ultimately posturing the case for summary judgment. The court entered judgment in favor of Defendants on all counts.
- Obtained summary judgment in a medical malpractice case in a case involving allegations against a central Illinois provider and her practice group. Heyl Royster attorneys strategically positioned the case through expert discovery, ultimately securing judgment in favor of the defendants on all counts.
- Secured a trial victory on behalf of a central Illinois healthcare provider and a central Illinois practice group in a case involving allegations that negligent treatment resulted in a recurrence of breast cancer, a bilateral mastectomy, subsequent revision surgeries, and an unfavorable cosmetic outcome. Although the plaintiffs suggested a verdict of $2M, the verdict was in favor of the defendants on all counts.
"VBAC,” OB Grand Rounds (2020)
"Expert Witness Standards? Section 8/2501 and the Purtill Test," ISBA Tort Trends Vol. 58 No. 1 (2022)
"Medical Malpractice: Trials," Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2022)
"Res Judicata and Involuntary Dismissal," ISBA Tort Trends Vol. 57 No. 2 (2022)
- Benfield and Wurl Obtain Summary Judgment on Behalf of Illinois Hospital
- Benfield and Simmons Obtain Dismissal with Prejudice for Illinois Pharmacy
- Benfield Obtains Favorable Summary Judgment for Illinois Hospital
- Benfield and Monfort Obtain Summary Judgment for Healthcare Provider
- Monfort and Benfield Secure Trial Victory on Behalf of Healthcare Provider